MMS Student a CCAWV Essay Winner

Pictured from left: Marshall County Commissioner John Gruzinskas, MMS student Lorelei Williams, Marshall County Commissioner Mike Ferro and Marshall County Commissioner Scott Varner.

A student from Marshall County is among the top finishers in this year’s essay contest held by the County Commissioners’ Association of West Virginia (CCAWV). Eleven other students from different counties also received awards ranging from first place to honorable mention.  

Lorelei Williams of Moundsville Middle School was one of four students to receive honorable mention honors in the contest. Williams received help from teacher Kim Ghaphery in submitting the entry.  

Finley Carpenter of Belington Middle School took first place in the contest that the association holds annually for eighth-grade students. The winning entry was among more than 230 essays submitted from 40 classrooms in 25 counties. The teacher who helped submit the winning essay is Sarah Harris.

“I’m very impressed with the participation in this year’s contest,” Meagan James, program coordinator for the association, said. “It surpassed expectations. I want to thank all the teachers involved for taking valuable classroom time to encourage their students to learn about the county commission. I’m looking forward to the future and seeing the contest continue to grow. Congratulations to the winning students.”

During April, which was National County Government Month, the CCAWV encouraged students to learn about the role of county commissioners and write essays of up to 500 words on the topic, “How does my county commission make my life better for me?” Winning students receive monetary prizes and are honored by their county commissions.